Human Resources/Boss Issues

Question

I just started a job back in December of 2014 for a credit union.  I am an accounting clerk.  I have background as a manager as well.  I'm the type of person who likes to come to work, do my job and go home.  I do not like to talk about my personal life, like alot of these women at this credit union do.  Being that I don't do that, they feel they don't know me well.  In my mind, as long as my job is being done well and I'm cordial to others, this should not be an issue.  But it is, my boss is constantly saying she doesn't know anything about me and that I should sit down and have a get to know you session with her and other coworkers, she also suggests I mingle more.  Is this harrassment? because I do not want to talk about my personal life with anyone.  I do a great job and even had a good review.  I just feel constantly stressed that I should open up more to people and that is not right.  Any thoughts on how I should handle this?  Thank you.

Answer
Kelli
First of all, lighten up. No, it is not harrassment (at this point).  Credit Unions and companies like them tend to be like families from a culture stand point, with both the good and bad that families are.  Getting to know each other and being friendly can be a positive thing.  However, we all have our tolerances for sharing.  Try staying within yours while still being friendly.  You may just see the benefit.
If it becomes too uncomfortable for you, then have a sitdown "get to know you " conversation with your boss and discuss your shyness.
Hope this helps
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky