Human Resources/FMLA

Question
1-office manager
2-virginia
3->2,500
4-employee
5-I have worked for this company for 14 yrs and was fired.(another story)  I am currently looking for new employment.  My main question has to do with my FMLA.  Today during on of the reference calls, they asked about my absenteeism.  All of my missed days were directly related to my medical condition that was under FMLA.  None of the references I gave told them about my missed days. So, can the office manager or HR tell them I missed days as long as no medical info was given? or can they not say anything at all since it was under FMLA?  
I had only missed 2 other days that year not related to FMLA.

Thank you so much,

Suzanne

Answer
Suzanne,

Without being there, of course it is hard to say why the question came up or what could have been said.   So, let me offer a few different perspectives.

1-  FMLA only protects job and employment status.  It doesn't go into issues like HIPAA which covers confidential health information.   Employers, generally, are not under this umbrella.

2-  typically,  even IF  a hiring company wants to do reference calls, they will only ask for three things:
a-  what were the dates of employment- start to end.
b- what was the rate of compensation and job title and responsibility ( What did they do there)
c- is this person eligible for rehire if they applied again?  Why?

So, I would not be too concerned.  Most people in HR know enough not to hang out dirty laundry about past employees and go into details,  but this is not everyone.  Overall,  just look for new work and don't look back.     It is very competitive and if you think every job you dont get hired for is because someone is telling stories about you, then you will have a lot to struggle with.

As far as an interview goes,  in your next interview you are NOT  obligated to volunteer any information about your personal medical history.  Also, the person doing the interview should know it is not smart to ask anyone about their medical history before getting a job offer as it is risky and can be considered discrimination against potentially "disabled" people.

I hope this helps you.

If anything else, just ask...

Brian-
and remember to rate the answer....

Human Resources

Brian Phillips