Human Resources/Hours Change

Question
Hi -

I have been working at a school district for 12 years and this summer they gave us 5 hours a day instead of the 3 we had always had.  I have another job and my principal and I went over what my new schedule would look like this fall. I was assured that this was no problem.

When I got back to school I was told that I would have to resign (by the HR Department) because I can't work all 5 hours on the same day; however, I can work the 25 hours they need for the week - just spread out over all 5 days.  

I am a college professor and my class meets at 1:00, which means that I would have to leave the other school district about 30 minutes earlier than they'd like me to.

Please help.  They are taking over a week to make this decision and I love both my jobs and want to work with them (at the first job), but I get the feeling that they'd rather I quit.

Meagan

Answer
Meagan,

If you already worked it out with the principal, it should be a done deal.  Perhaps discuss it with the superintendent.

I have no idea what job you are doing that you can spread out your work or whether it is less flexible.  Dont quit,  Share the schedule you agreed to in the spring with HR and see if the principal will also sit in those meetings to support your  proposed schedule.

In the end though,  if the principal erred and the timing of his recommended schedule is really impossible for whatever reason relating to deadlines or other duties,  then I'm afraid you will need to make a decision on what  to do.  This is not a cut and dry policy situation where I could offer advise.   It all comes down to whether  ONE  of the schools you work with will be flexible enough to allow you to keep both schedules-- and both positions.

I'm really not sure how else I can help here.  

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips