Human Resources/A strange, dangerous workplace

Question
Hello Mark. I was hoping I could get an outside perspective on my peculiar situation.

I work for a local, city municipality, a public building. I have a coworker that has been having issues with his girlfriend. A few weeks ago she hired a private investigator to follow my coworker, her boyfriend around. From what my coworker tells me, the private investigator accidentally followed me around instead. He supposedly took pictures of me at work and tried to follow me home. Earlier yesterday I find out that this coworker of mine has a voice recorder that his girlfriend is making him wear. When he came to work yesterday, he wrote on a pad saying he has a voice recorder, then proceeded to show it to me. I explained to him that I didn't want to be recorded.

Later that day I let my direct supervisor know of both of these incidents. He shrugged it off and then said that in our state, Arizona, he can record audio of private conversations. I looked up the federal law regarding this and it states that in certain states, it is legal to record conversation as long as one party knows. However, if he records a private conversation that he is not a party of, he then is violating the law. My supervisor brushed this off and told me to ignore it. Should I take this up to HR?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Jared.

Answer
Hello Jared !

This is situation is absurd.  

It is an invasion of your privacy, it probably is illegal, it is in appropriate behavior in the workplace, it is a form of harassment, and probably other "things" a lawyer could find that are illegal.

You should head to HR, explain the situation, tell them you went to your supervisor and what his or her response was to your complaint.  If HR does not act, pay a visit to the closest local office  of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the Office of Federal Contract Compliance (OFCCP) which is the enforcement arm of the EEOC. Usually you need to be in a protected class for a complaint to be valid but it would be worth the time or a visit to the office. Try the OFCCP office first. Even a phone call may tell you if you can use those alternatives.  Last resort, find an attorney.

If your HR department is progress, active, pro-active they should act on this.

Best of luck!  Thanks for you question!

Mark  

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger