Human Resources/Job interviewing situation

My wife currently works a 9 month position at a university administratively.  She has for some time been trying to get a 12 month role.  She recently has been interviewing for 3 twelve month positions.  Yesterday she was offered a position which was her # 2 choice.  Today she had final interview with top choice.  Job that she was offered would like answer tonight.  Top choice said they will let her know tomorrow.  Is there a smart way to stall?  I'm usually pretty good at this type of thing but she doesn't want to lie and she really needs to land one of these 12 month positions for financial reasons.  It's a small campus and she doesn't know who talks to who. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Bob,

This is a volunteer site and I am sorry but I hope you get the answer in time since you say the time line is very short.

In any case, your wife is fortunate to have these interviews.   Keep this in mind,  NO EMPLOYER   "has to know"  the next day if someone will accept a position.   If they truly can't wait another day, or till Monday, what is really happening there that they must know in 1 day?    Who makes a SNAP decision like that?    Some people would jump into the position, others like to think.   Would she want to work for a place that forces her into a decision one way or the other?

Your wife is marketable and the reality is the answer she hopes to hear today from her # 1 choice may not come until Tuesday next week.  So, your wife should tell the University she appreciates the offer and she is seriously considering it as it is a big decision.   Explain she would like to sleep on it over the weekend and will give them a call Monday Feb 22 in the morning  (Assuming she hears from #1).   If this is not a good enough answer for #2,  and if they press for a decision and your wife has the intestinal fortitude,  she can offer this information as well-  She can say she has interviewed with another enterprise ahead of #2   and is going to receive a formal offer and to be FAIR TO THEM FOR THEIR TIME AND COURTESY, she would like to hear what they have to say, and then she can fairly decide what is best.

Of course, #2 may rescind their offer,  but that could be for many reasons too voluminous to go into here in writing.   For example, the #2 already has another candidate in mind and is waiting on your wife  to decide as she might "cost less"  or who knows.   It is VERY unlikely any company would interview someone and then throw them away since they dont respond in 1 day to accept the position offered.

Whatever your wife decides to do I hope it works out.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.