Human Resources/New job, being sick, resign

I started a new job a little over a month ago. And the first thing that made it hard was the person who originally did the job was already gone. So I have like three people training me. One day someone shows me or tells me one thing and then the next day I'm told that's wrong and not the way to do it. So it's major confusion. I also have people not in my department coming and telling me I'm not doing something right. And I can take constructive criticism I just feel I never know what I should be doing, even when I went and asked my supervisor about it I got double talk.

To make matters so much worse. For the most part most of the people are very nice it is a small community business. But if I am being honest with myself I could tell right away after the starting I knew the job just wasn't for me.

I am a full time student also with  more than a year left. On top of all that. As I said I have only been there a little over a month, well two weeks into that month I got real sick and now I'm still sick and the doctors are trying to figure out what to do. I have basically only worked 10 days out of the month I have been there.

The place has been nice. I think alot like I said because it's a small town and my husbands family does alot of business there (which is another reason I should have stayed away). Anyway this illness is going on it's 4th week, being I don't know how long it will last and I really see the job going now where and don't like it. Would it be wise for me to resign due to my health issues? Recommendations on best way to handle that if that's a good option?

Because even though I don't like the job and the company has been nice so far how long before they decide to fire me?

It is better to resign than get fired correct?

And how would this look on my resume and what would I say during the interview process when I would be able to start looking again if I did resign?

Thank you so much for your time,

Hi A,

You have not worked there long enough for a resignation to be a negative factory in your overall work history.  You can always be well prepared for an interview to address the reason for resignation.

You can resign for health reasons, that is explainable in an interview.  You can resign for lack of new job training, or, incompatibility with job fit / duties, or, personal reasons.  As long as you are prepared for interview questions associated with your brief employment dates you can always explain it in a positive light.  It just takes some practice and work, reciting the reason(s) out loud until you are satisfied you can explain the situation succinctly, without dragging it out into a long story.  Don't forget to find some positives to use in explanations.

It is better to resign than be involuntarily terminated (fired, lay off, etc.).  And if you are fired, you would list "involuntary termination" on your future job applications. Using that term is purposely vague and gives you an opportunity to explain the situation in an interview.  Again, just be practiced and prepared.

You need to make sure if you are absent for health reasons you document that with your employer.  Do it in writing with a doctor's written explanation, if possible.

Keep going, keep your head up, stay positive, layout a plan and act on it.  Working full time and going to school full time is a load, stressful, and tiring.  I know, I did that as well.

Best of luck "A".

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.