Human Resources/college

I am currently attending the University of Pennsylvania. I have done a lot of internships and done research alongside professors. Do you think that in addition to this experience, most employers will be impressed with UPenn? Will most recognize it as a prestigious/ivy league school? I'm just wondering this because there some people I know who are not familiar with the school.

U of P is a great school.  I visited there myself while a student at another University. I have never hired anyone based on the school they attended.  I'm sure there are HR people who will in the goal of furthering the Alumni relations department,  but it is not how I do things.  This applies to all higher education.   There are so many more factors to use to qualify someone; or disqualify them.

That being said, business who prefer to hire graduates are looking for someone to learn a basic part of their business within a narrow scope then see how much more they are able to grow with added responsibility-  this takes years, not months.  If you are looking to be  "employed" then you are going to be applying to the large employers of 1,000+ employees with teams of HR.   Likely as a graduate you would not get a position with a smaller company as you would need more experience and credibility having been in the trenches; this being the role of HR Generalists.  Plus smaller companies add other responsibilities to HR like payroll, training compliance and even accounts payable or receivables. Maybe you even submit employment taxes.

SHRM certifications are nice to have too if you have an employer willing to pay for them and give you time off to go to the seminars and continuing education.  Or you pay for it yourself instead of waiting for a golden package.  

I hope this helps.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.