Human Resources/Interviewing question

I interviewed on 4/26 at a non profit for a management level position. I sent a thank you email the next day and received a phone call about 20 minutes later requesting that I come in for a second interview a few days later.  The second interview went great and at the end of the interview, the hiring manager walked me to the door and told me that the board would meet the next day to discuss the position and "what they could do for me" and that I should hear from them very soon.  A few days past and I sent a follow up email, I received a reply asking for my references.  I sent three great references  within an hour and then... silence.  I didn't hear anything for about a week.  I followed up again via e-mail asking if there was a tentative timeline for making a decision on the position.  I got an email back almost immediately saying that they would be "wrapping up what they need today" and that she planned to connect with me the next day.  The "next day" was three days ago.  Should I follow up again or wait a few more.

Hi Melody,

I would wait a few more days, then follow up again.  It appears as if they are touching all the bases. Based on their reliable responses to your follow-ups to date, sounds like you will be successful.

This is, however, how companies and organizations lose good talent during the interview and selection process.  A process that drags on is sometimes indicative of inefficient hiring and selection processes and can be expensive from a manager's time standpoint as well as lost talent. And, there are competitors out there that have very robust processes for finding and hiring talent out in the market.

Good luck, how it works out for you!!!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.