Human Resources/Employer putting employees at risk

Question
Hello Jim. I was curious if I could get your take on this;

I work as a Municipal Security Guard for a city municipality. I am unarmed and I receive zero self defense training. My employer is requiring me and the other guards to transport courier money from our trucks to the safe inside our security office on a daily basis. The transport trip involves moving the cash from our docks to the other side of our building. The path we must take has us going through areas of the general public. Our employer does not give us equipment such as body vests nor allows us to be armed while we move the cash. On average, we transport several thousand dollars at a time, sometimes making multiple trips. This job duty is not listed as a specific job duty requirement in the job description. I told my boss that I do not feel comfortable transporting this amount of cash, unarmed in a public area. I am concerned of armed robbery. Can I legally be terminated for refusing to do this job?

Thank you for any advice.

Jared C.

Answer
Jared
Time to lighten up.  Retail folks do this hundreds of thousand times a day, by them selves actually going into a bank and coming out with a bag of $. None of these folks are armed nor have specialized equipment.  The monetary amounts are comparable.  
Dont refuse to do your job as you can be terminated if this activity is part of your job.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky