Human Resources/Second Interview

Question
Hello Mark
I hope the email finds you well.
I need some much needed advice, please.
Back in Sept, I quit a job, that caused me extreme issues of anxiety. For health reasons, and how I was treated by  management, I had to quit.
I was so happy, in the months that followed.I felt like myself again. I was casually looking for a job, found one, at the local retirement home, and applied for it. I had an interview, that went so well, I was offered the job. To make a long story short, I quit, two hours, before I was to start, as I had an overwhelming panic attack.

That was a terrible choice and not a day has gone by, where I regretted that decision.
I recently applied to the same retirement home, and they called me today, to set up an interview, for Monday.
I am confident in the interview process, not a problem at all, however, my anxiety is very bad, at the moment, because I am afraid that people there, will recognize me, from my prior interview, and tell management (that I am the girl that quit before she started)and not hire me
The woman who is interviewing me, is the Executive Director, whom I have never met. The woman who hired me, prior, was an RN.

My background is that of nursing,predominately nursing homes, and the environment, that goes along with it, causes me to have extreme anxiety. I felt that a retirement home would be a different environment,which is why I applied, but was warned, by the RN, that hired me,before, that it is very ''gossipy'' environment, knowing this, caused me anxiety, and the closer to my start date,that I got, I had a full blown panic attack.
I did send an email, the following day, profusely apologizing, I  and heard nothing back. I understood why
When I got called for an interview today, I was shocked!

Any advice that you could give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you for listening

Answer
Hi Lisa,

It is great you have a second shot / interview!

Being prepared is the best way to avoid a panic.  Nervous is good, helps keep you alert, bright.

You should know what relavent points you want to make in the interview and look for opportunities to introduce those points. Points being, knowledge, experience, and behavioral competencies like integrity, hard work, adaptability, honesty, humor, good judgment, professional presence, team player ... you can introduce these, they are important as they speak to how you will behave on the job.  So you need to have this stuff in mind, ready to go.

There is mucho info out there on the web regarding behavioral competencies... here are a couple of references:

http://youremployment.biz/competency/behavioral-competency/

http://www.hr.emory.edu/eu/docs/performance-guide.pdf

The best way to prepare is to practice, out loud, at home, making your points you would like to make.  Do it in front of a mirror so you can consider body language as well.

I might also suggest you get some professional help with the anxiety, panic, stuff.  You might find that there are very, very, effective ways to manage that... just an idea.

Good luck to you Lisa !  and, ... be prepared.

Mark  

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger