Human Resources/Bad reference

Question
QUESTION: What are the laws and loopholes refering to past employers and what they can say negatively about past employees?

ANSWER: Hello James,

Thanks for your question James.  Here you go.

Employers who have their act together use application form(s) with multiple releases, usually small print on the bottom of the form.  These releases, which you are usually required to sign, grant the employer permission to seek out prior employment history and reference information based on the permissions given in the release language.

Absent the release language, prior employers can only legally verify the information you have provided on the application, e.g. address, employment history, etc.

Loop holes (all illegal). (1) These can include your future (interviewing manager, interviewing HR/Personnel person) employer making “confidential” calls to your past employers and convincing a past employer to talk about, off the record, your overall performance/attendance/attitude/etc. during your employment there. (2) You past employer(s) are ignorant of the law or just doesn’t care and provide whatever you future employer asks.

Sophisticated employers do not need to stoop to illegal ways of finding out the potentially undesirable and behavior flaws of candidates and future employees.  There are great tools out there to sift through candidate competencies, skills and behaviors through resume/CV clearing houses, e-tools, and structured, advanced interviewing techniques.  Of course not all employers are sophisticated… and interviewing quality is only as good as the leader/manager’s interviewing knowledge and skills

Information on behavioral interviews and questions: https://biginterview.com/blog/behavioral-interview-questions

Good luck to you James !!!

Mark  

QUESTION: No I was asking about past employers, not the new potential employer. Assuming the new employer can ask the old employer about a past employee what bad are they allowed to say about someone? Lets say they don't like you as much as you thought when you included them as a reference, or they don't want you to move on to another job so they feel compelled to compromise you.

ANSWER: James,

Please read carefully... the answer re: past employers is below.  

Employers who have their act together use application form(s) with multiple releases, usually small print on the bottom of the form.  These releases, which you are usually required to sign, grant PAST employers permission to release prior employment history and reference information based on the permissions given in the release language.

Absent the release language, PAST employers can only legally verify the information you have provided on the application, e.g. address, employment history, etc.

Loop holes (all illegal). (1) These can include your future (interviewing manager, interviewing HR/Personnel person) employer making “confidential” calls to your PAST employers and convincing a PAST employer to talk about, off the record, your overall performance/attendance/attitude/etc. during your employment there. (2) Your PAST employer(s) are ignorant of the law or just doesn’t care and provide whatever you future employer asks.
Sophisticated employers do not need to stoop to illegal ways of finding out the potentially undesirable and behavior flaws from PAST employers.

My experience is employers don't "change their minds" about your work record and performance after you separate from employment. Usually, your work record and reputation is what it is.

Mark  

QUESTION: Can a past employer legally say that someone is lazy, late to work often, and doesn't show urgency or ambition? Or must they only focus on the positive?

Answer
James,

As long as you signed a authorization for release of your performance related information, a past employer can legally share both positive and negative performance related information.  Performance can include, for example, quantity, quality of work, attitude, productivity, etc.

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger