Human Resources/(White collar) job prospects will be how much affected by a att. 3rd degree burglary conviction?

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

My best friend is coming out of jail next week with a conviction for attempted burglary in the third degree (he was trying unsuccessfully to get back into his ex's apartment with the old key). He lives in New Jersey.

He works in graphic design as an art director in New York City but of course lost his job when he went to jail.

In the past he has lost job opportunity after job opportunity at the last second with  no one telling him he had a warrant for his arrest for public disturbance from ten years before when he was too drunk to remember. So I know this stuff can be a real problem. He had to hire a lawyer to get that off of his record when he finally found out; after 8 years of having jobs basically pulled out from under him.

Now he is worried about trying to get a job again. He wants to know how this may affect his chances when he applies for similar positions in New York City as well as when he moves, as he would like to, to San Diego.

Is this worse or better than that outstanding warrant?

I know you can't tell me how each prospective employer would react but a general idea.

His exact question to me was worded: "How bad is a conviction of attempted burglary in the third degree when I am trying to get a corporate job."

Thank you!!

Natasha

ANSWER: Natasha
It obviously wont help prospects.  If the issue is as simple as you indicate, a good lawyer could potentially get it expunged from the record.  Having said that.  They dont put you in the slammer for a "misunderstanding"
It will take a lot of hard work on his part to make this go away.
Jim

QUESTION: Hi,

"Having said that.  They dont put you in the slammer for a "misunderstanding" "

He went to jail because she claimed arson, which was finally thrown out because there was zero evidence once she finally showed the video she claimed it was in. Also nothing was burnt. He was in jail for 6 months just because she claimed she had a video because no one was obligated to look at it to see if it was actually true. However there was still the other charge.

That was, however, irrelevant to my question, and rude.

"It won't help" is also a  little less detailed than I had hoped for.

Natasha

Answer
Natasha
You obviously did not appreciate the bluntness of my earlier answer. I dont need or want the details of the situation.  You asked what effect his situation would have on employment prospects  for a white collar position.  I gave you exactly what the corporate employment types' view would be.   They do not want to manage exceptions and wont.   The quote you started your question with is Their exact response not mine.  They take a black ad white view of convictions.  You totally ignored my suggestion regarding a good lawyer to try to make this  go away.  I  have dealt with these situations in the past and typically thats the way it goes.  Either way, it is going to be a challenge to restart his career with this on his record.
Good luck.  

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky