Hunting/Jackrabbit hunting

Angler78 wrote at 2013-01-28 22:16:55
You can find Jackrabbits in dry-grassy fields and where ever there is an abundance of cedar bushes and trees. They are best found during the early morning just after sunrise. You can also find them during the afternoon hours, but concentrate on the cedar bushes, as they will use this time to rest and hide out from predator birds and such. You can also find them out feeding during the early evening about an hour or so before sunset.

They love cedar bushes!! The best technique I have found, is to just walk through the field and near the cedar. When you get close, they will run...this is called "flushing". I use a 12 gauge shotgun with 2 3/4" shells with #6 shot. Works like a charm. Unless you can find super high ground and be able to watch the fields at an altitude high enough to see them moving about, a rifle won't help. They like to lay and feed with their ears back down their back. To aid in finding them from a distance in knee-high grass, just use a whistle. Give it a toot or two and then watch for the black tips on their ears. They will stand erect and try and locate what's making that noise.

If you are spotted and the rabbit takes off running, DO NOT run after it. Just keep an eye on it and watch where it goes. If you lose sight of it, don't worry. The rabbit will stop after so far and try and relocate you. If he doesn't see you anymore, he will go about his business. If you run after it, or approach to quickly after scaring it, it will run forever, putting as much distance between you and him as he can. That can be well over 200 yards!

They are more like a darker meat. and whoever said they don't taste good, is either crazy or failed to take the time to properly prepare it. When cooking jackrabbit, use slow wet methods of cooking. Beef recipes are best for jackrabbits, as they have a darker meat. Once you skin and quarter them, make a brine to soak them in. A simple brine is just a 2-3 tablespoons of table salt ans enough water to cover the rabbit meat. Cover and put in the fridge to sit for 24 hours. This takes the gamey taste out of it. A teaspoon or two of white wine vinegar can mixed in your brine as well. This will help tenderize the meat. I prepare rabbit the same way I do for squirrel. The recipes may be different here and there, but the preparation is the same. They are very good table fare. Anyone who says different, is either NOT speaking from personal experience or has had poor prepared jackrabbit. Hope this helps. Good hunting.  

Hunting

Kent Staubus