Hunting/mature whitetail bucks

John W wrote at 2013-11-29 15:53:16
Hunting mature bucks is not easy. I've been deer hunting for over 25 years and have been fortunate enough to bag only 6-7 mature bucks. Older bucks are very good at picking up pressure. Most hunters feel that deer get spooky after they see them. The truth is that if a mature buck even smells you, or where you have even walked, that may be enough for them to avoid the area. Though I often thought they went nocturnal, they do move during the day, just not much.

The key is to narrow down where you think that big bad buck is holding out and then just hunt long and hard. Stay on point, especially when it gets cold and nasty and the buck must move to eat. He will slip up, you just have to be there to take advantage of his mistake.

Keith Patton

I can answer questions about whitetail deer hunting using modern and black powder firearms. I can address questions on still hunting and stalking. I am also knowledgeable on the hunting of ducks over decoys in the central flyway, and goose hunting over rag decoy sets on the Gulf Coast of Texas. I can answer quesitons regarding dog preparation for both these hunting areas

Over 26 years of waterfowl and deer hunting in Virginia, Texas and Oklahoma. Over 34 years of range and target shooting of small and big bore long guns and shotguns.

National Rifle Association Texas Rifle Association