Hunting/bobcats in oklahoma

Question
i have land up by lake eucha in northeast oklahoma... on nov 18th while deer hunting there i saw a cat from about 75 yards away. he was grey colored and everyone thinks it is a bobcat.. my question is do they change coat colors to grey??? i have lived in arkansas and hunted bobcats there but they were always blondish with spots.. i will be awaiting your help on this and so will my co-workers...          thank you,
dave r.

Answer
Hello Dave,

Actually I live in Northeast Oklahoma myself.

No, bobcats do not change color... However they do come in "different shades" and color variations, and of course, their fur will thicken in the colder months like most other animals... Most often a bobcat will look "grey" from a distance, but there are actually 2 different basic color phases (There may be others, but if so I am not aware of them) called in the fur trade, "red bobcats" or "blue bobcats".... On close inspection you can tell the difference. A red cat will have a decidedly reddish or rusty cast to his coat on his back, while a blue cat will not have this reddish cast...it's darker and may, in some instances, appear a bit blue on the back, and occasionally on the belly.... It is easier to tell the difference on close inspection.... And this color will have a huge impact on the price paid for the fur... "Blue cats" are generally worth considerably more than the "red cats" to the fur buyer... Back in the 1970's and 1980's, during the "fur boom days" a top blue cat may bring as much as 250 dollars sold green, while a cat of equal size and quality, but with a reddish cast may only bring 100 dollars sold green.

Now, realize that there are a good many more feral cats out there than many people believe. I have seen and caught some that were might near as big as a medium sized bobcat, and often with the same disposition... I have seen some I actually thought were bobcats until I got closer... And of course, these can come in any color, the same as a house cat... But the vast majority of feral cats will be the darker or grey colors. Lighter colored feral cats don't usually last long with all the various predators around.

Something else I'll toss in here...food for thought, so to speak... Many people don't believe it but there are mountain lions around this area from time to time... I first saw one back in the early 1960's along Bird Creek, when I was a kid...and I have twice seen them while running traps or hunting, in later years, and one of those was greyish in color... In fact I brought one in once while calling coyotes about 15 years ago... My wife was with me and wanted me to shoot it, but I did not know the legality of that, so I let it walk.

Hope this helps,

Mongo

Hunting

Mongo