Hunting/shoulder hit

Question
This past Friday Evening archery hunt from stand; buck came into range 15 to 20 yard shot broadside. I did not see where arrow struck. Buck immediately fell to ground on side kicking legs. He got back up took couple steps and again fell to ground kicking legs. Buck gets back up runs away. Later looked for arrow and blood trail. Did not locate arrow and no blood found where shot. was able to pick up blood trail; was a decent blood trail. Blood then tapers off then no blood. Hour later resumed trying to recover the deer; had several helping me look but could not find any more blood or recover the deer. Due to the deer reaction when hit him afraid i may have struck shoulder?? would he be able to survive the hit? I would have attempted to locate next morning but was first day of rifle season and area would have been full of hunters. I would have rather missed the deer completely than to have had poor shot as I did. Hoping the deer may survive without being lame; which is my question. Thanks!

Answer
Hard to say as it depends on exactly where it.  There's a possibility the arrow hit the spine without breaking it, but the shock of the blow caused momentary paralysis.  The fact no blood was found at the point of impact suggests you didn't hit the lungs.  I don't archery hunt, but if I did I would bring along a simple orange vest just for these kinds of occasions.  My guess is the deer was hit mostly in muscle tissue, hence the lack of blood.  If you hunt long enough, this sort of thing is bound to happen to you sooner or later.

Kent in SD

Hunting

Kent Staubus