Hunting/Trapping

Question
Hey Mongo, my name is Don,glad to see your back, hope you had a great vacation.I have only been trapping for two years,and enjoying every minute of it,and I'm using foothold traps,My question is about two things,#1 is it better to use the powder die or the speed-dip die that you add gas to? And #2 using trapping wax, can you use the unscented wax that you can buy from Hobby lobby? I live in the Muskogee area and trying to help locally. Thanks for everything you do for everyone who needs advice and God Bless!!

Answer
Hello Don,

Why yes, thank you, we had a very nice vacation... My wife and I have been together almost 40 years, and this is the first actual vacation we have ever taken. Before this I saved all my vacation and comp time thru the year at work, and took it off during trapping season. That generally allowed me to take off all of December and half or more of January each year, and all I did during this time was run traps and call predators.......... But, we went to Vegas for the first time, stayed at The Flamingo Hotel and Casino and blew too much money gambling, saw The Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Hoover Dam, and a few other things... Our daughter and son, and their spouses, went along too... We had a really nice time, but it's a long drive from Oklahoma.
**********************************************************

#1) ... There is no "better" as to the method you use for treating your traps. Different people use different methods... For alot of years back in the 1970's, and '80's I boiled the water and used the black logwood crystals. Then after the crystals got hard to find I used the brown powder that turns black in the water... I know that many people wax their traps after dying, but I didn't bother waxing, as the fellas that taught me never did wax, and they were excellent trappers. In fact 2 of them were retried professional government trappers... I'd always been taught never to let odd smells like gasoline get anywhere near my coyote traps. But, as time passed and I read more about the dips, and I accumulated more and more traps that I had to treat, I gave the dip a try. It is MUCH faster and easier, especially when you had 5 or 6 hundred traps to treat...and I saw no change in my numbers of animals... Just be sure to follow the directions... And every year before treating my traps prior to trapping season I first dipped and sloshed them in plain gasoline to remove as much of the old trap dip as possible. You may even have to brush them a bit... Then I'd let them hang a day or so before retreating with the dip.

#2) ... Only once did I try waxing my traps (of course if you use the dip you don't need to even consider wax at all), and found that waxing was more trouble than it was worth to me, not to mention it can be dangerous if not handled correctly, and a pain to remove.... And like I told you, the guys that taught me dyed but never waxed their traps, and some of their animal numbers would be hard to believe if I had not personally seen them myself....BUT... Immediately after pulling my traps I rinsed them off good with water, particularly if I had been using any type of anti-freeze, and as soon as possible I retreated them, and hung them for next year, to prevent any rusting... Then a month or so before next season I checked them all out, and then treated them again... But I didn't use wax........... I have heard of people using "regular wax", but they add something to it to make it less "brittle", but to be honest, I can't recall what it is now.... Personally, I'd suggest not using wax at all...either dye and hang, or dip and hang, but not bother with waxing... But that is just my suggestion, and what I did.

I live in Pawhuska myself.... I'm old now, gimped up and disabled, and am not physically able to get out and run traplines any longer... But, I kinda "keep my hand in" by trying to help people here.... If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a line... And Good luck to you Don.

Mongo

Hunting

Mongo