Hunting/Rabbit tail

I have a rabbits tail that I shot with a .22 pellet gun and would like to keep it. I have had it outside for the last week or so and it seems to be fine and not smelling at all as it has been so cold.

I have been doing some reading about putting tails into salt. So this is what I have done.

Do you suggest any other ways that I can preserve this. Please note that there is bone still in the tail

If you could take something like an Exacto knife and carefully make a slit in the skin to remove the bone that would be great.  Otherwise, I don't think there is enough "meat" in just the tail to be a problem long term.  You might ask a local taxidermist.

Good luck!
Kent in SD

Kent Staubus

Nearly 30 years` experience hunting upland game, big game, and waterfowl in the Upper Midwest and many college level classes in biology. I can answer questions about hunting with rifles and shotguns, and how to hunt mule/whitetail deer, antelope, pheasants, quail, ducks, squirrels, and rabbits. I can also answer questions about outdoor clothing for cold climates. As a licensed therapist, I have helped handicapped outdoorsmen.