Hunting/body scent

Hi Kevin, I`m going moose hunting soon and was wondering can i use the odorless/unscented soap and doedorant they sell in drug stores or i`m better off with the specialized soaps and deodorant they sell at the hunting store which are more expensive but also have scent blockers (do they really work??) ?

I think you could work with any unscented soap, though I would not go with just any unscented deodorant that is sold in the drug stores.

Personally, I do believe and have seen evidence in the woods of days where I have been able to pin my success on getting close to animals on the scent elimination products from Hunter Specialties.  The reason that I have chosen Hunter Specialties for all of these years is that they are very reasonable in price and I have had days where I felt that I got closer to game using them versus days where I did not use these products.

I personally always use the wind direction as my primary scent elimination process and if I am hunting a field where I know the wind is in my favor, I will almost always do well.  If I come into a field where the wind is blowing across the field then I just will not hunt that field on that day.  In regards to a Moose Hunt, scent elimination is important but hunting with the wind is going to be your PRIMARY concern on every single hunt or stalk.  Buy a small wind checker bottle or use unscented Talc Powder and constantly be aware of wind direction.

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt and please send pictures to kevin @ huntinglife dot com.

Kevin Paulson

I can answer questions on all forms of hunting with Big Game Hunting being my specialty. As well I have a strong passion for the North American Conservation Model and work with various conservation organizations to spread the word about what hunters are doing to protect our wildlife and introduce hunters to our traditions and way of life.

I have been a Big Game Guide and Outfitter, I am the founder of and a full time outdoor writer.

Organizations, SEOPA, POMA, RMEF(Life Member), MDF(Life Member), SCI, Pheasants Forever, NWTF, and more.

Publications and various websites nationally

College and the School of Hard Knocks

Field and Stream Past Hero of Conservation