Hunting/Tanning for beginners

Hello. A friend and I want to learn how to brain tan hides traditionally. I've read some sites with instructions, but they leave out details. Some questions I have are...

How much water do we mix with the brains?(random size brain)

What is the best tool for fleshing if we can't get a fleshing knife, sharp knife or dull?(We are overseas military and can't find somethings)

Any tips for softening?
Thank you!!!

Answer This will help you get it tanned, but remember it is the old way and not the best or even better way. If it were me I would salt it down let it dry ship home when it drys let a family member keep it up for you and when you get home take it to a taxidermy that actually sends hides off for professional tanning then it will be solved is a piece of nice leather with or without hair

chris stockton

I was a taxidermist for 18 years, taught classes for 5 years, I'm been a elk hunter for 20 years and have some great experiences with elk, and muledeer alike.

I have had very good success in my elk hunting and mule deer hunting over the past twenty years out west, I have been a successful taxidermist for 18, if I can help in this field, I'm more than willing

n/a ex- wild turkey foundation---chapter went belly up

college graduate, and many plaques through taxidermy awards

many in taxidermy