Hunting/cages for catching coyotes

Hi Mongo
I'm a South African rancher ,we have a problem with Black Backed Jackal ,similar to your coyote, and Caracal(lynx)The cats we have mastered catching in cages ,but not the jackal, something I'm working on , have you any ideas.Trapping of jackal we have mastered ,but as age is catching up with me ,I would like to learn or find a way with cages.So far no luck.

Ranching on

Hello Richard,

Well, I have to apologize here as I have tired on several occasions to catch coyotes in cages, with no success.... While I have never had any experience with Jackals, I understand they are very similar to our coyotes, and, as I've said, I have had no luck catching coyotes with cage traps... I've heard tales of people doing it, but I have never actually known anyone who has, so I have to believe that, if in fact someone has done so, it was a "freak accident", or a "very stupid pup", and they could not do it on a regular basis with adult coyotes... I could be mistaken, but I really don't believe so....... Actually, about the only suggestion I can even think of making is if the Jackals are causing problems, is to go ahead and use leg hold traps or snares, and get the problem solved.

I'm sorry Richard, but I honestly can not even begin to offer any helpful suggestions on catching them in cage traps... You may try one of the trapping forums on the internet, but I seriously doubt you will find much help on something like this.... Again, I'm sorry that I can not offer any help...but I do wish you the best of luck.

I can answer most basic questions concerning predator trapping and some water trapping. Questions about lures, baits, sets, traps, trap treatment, modification, sizes, equipment, usage, etc. I have been certified by the Okla. Dept. of Wildlife Conservation, the old First Okla. Trapper`s Assoc., and the Okla. State Univ. Extension Service as a trapping instructor, and in years past have given classes to people wishing to learn the sport...I also have a couple decades experience in predator calling and can provide some basic answers to these questions as well.

30+ years running my own traplines, and 60+ years experience as a hunter, shooter, fisherman, and outdoorsman.

I have been certified by the Okla. Dept. of Wildlife Conservation, the old First Okla. Trapper`s Assoc., and the Okla. State Univ. Extension Service, as a trapping instructor... I have also received personal instruction from two professional ADC specialists.

As far as teaching what I know to others. I take this to be what you mean here... I have helped my son, and son in law, as well as given classes to a number of other people in this area, to help get them started in trapping and predator calling... I have had personal instruction from 2 professional government ADC specialists, and I have over 30 years experience running my own traplines, and 60+ years of experience in the outdoors...... I have a friend who is a troop leader with the Boy Scouts. In the past I have done several demonstrations on trapping and predator calling for the boys, and on a number of occasions have helped the troop to set up and run a trapline during the winter, with proceeds going to the troop.