Hunting/Coyote calling

What call do you think would be best to call in a yote at daybreak at this time of the year

Hello Wesley,

Actually, pretty much any call dedicated to calling coyotes would work. And different sounds seem to work better at different places and at different times. But, 2 good sounds include those that sound like a coyote's dinner, and those sounding like another coyote... I could name a number of good calls for these sounds, but I hesitate to simply because there are so many out there... With practice, the open reeded calls like the CritR Call, and the Tally Ho, as well as a slew of other open reeded calls are, I feel, the best, mainly because they are capable of making so many different and varied sounds. But, they do require considerably more practice to learn to use them correctly and make the correct sounds of howls, barks, and prey species in distress than do the enclosed reeded calls... The enclosed reeded calls like the Burnham Brothers C-3, and Black Magic, or those by Circe or Knight and Hale, or FoxPro, or Randy Anderson, as well as literally hundreds of others, work very well for making the sound of a prey species in distress...and they are much easier to learn to use correctly than the open reeded calls............. Let me just toss this in. The first predator call I ever used was an old Burnham Brothers Fox Call (Now it's called the C-3). My father in law gave it to me, and told me he used to use it at night to call coons, but said it worked for any predator. So, I thanked him, and stuck it in my coat pocket... The first time I tried using it out in the woods, while running my trapline, I had set down on an old stump among a growth of small trees to take a short break. I reached in my pocket for a cigarette, and pulled out the call. I was carrying my .22 Magnum rifle, so instead of lighting the cigarette, I gave a few "wah-wah-wah's" on the call, not really expecting much... As I started the second series of "wah-wah-wah's" I noticed movement on the far side of a small clearing in front of me... Shortly after that a big bobcat trotted into view. I let him get about halfway across the clearing, put the crosshairs on the center of his chest, and pulled the trigger. The first time I ever used that call netted me a 250 dollar bobcat. I was hooked... And, I have to admit that is the reason the "Burnham Bros Fox Call" has always been my favorite call.

But, any of these calls would work for you at this time of year. Altho in the early morning I would lean toward coyote howls and barks... Right now many of the last season's young are starting to move out on their own. And they are young and inexperienced, and more easily called to both the sound of another coyote, as well as prey... The prey species calls are often the best for "all around" use, simply because the coyote, as well as any other predator, always has to eat. And of these I prefer the calls sounding like the cottontail rabbit, and the jack rabbit, altho there are a good many other prey species sounds that will work as well, and at times, perhaps better. But the cottontail rabbit is a good choice for an "all around" call...and may also bring in foxes, or bobcats or raccoon, or other predators besides just coyotes, including birds of prey such as hawks, eagles, and owls too. And, I have had these calls bring in deer on many occasions as well. Why, I don't know, but it happens too often to be a coincidence...... But, in an area that has seen high call usage then the howlers may be a better choice, because most people use the enclosed reeded prey species, and a coyote is not stupid, and if called, and shot at and missed a few times, can become educated to the calls... However, in an area that has seen no call usage, then the coyotes are much easier called with either type call... But, in this area that has seen low or no call usage, I would prefer the call of a prey species in distress, preferably the cottontail rabbit.

My suggestion is to pick any call that has a "Name Brand".. If it has been on the market for a long period of time then you know it must work, or else it would not have lasted..... It's very difficult for me to name a specific call, because there are just so many that work very well, that you can pretty much just "pick one", and do alright.

Now, of course the electronic callers make anyone an instant expert... You simply set it up, turn it on, and you are calling... And they also have the advantage of being able to program them, or they are already programmed, for a number of sounds.

Actually, it's difficult to say "which is best", as at times one type or sound will work better than another... I have had times and places where bunny rabbit distress didn't seem to work, and neither did howling... But, I found that coyote pup screams or whines worked, or mouse squeaks, or water birds, or even sounds of fox fighting... You just never really know until you try.

And don't forget that there are a large number of custom call makers out there. They are usually a little more expensive than commercial calls, but they are very often beautiful works of art, made of exotic woods, and bones, and antler. And, they are versatile, very serviceable, good working calls. I have a small collection of custom calls myself, and all of them have called predators, and work very well.

Check out some place like, or any of the larger trapper supply houses, or even the "Big Name" outdoor stores like Bass Pro, or Cabela's, or such, and you will find a good selection to choose from... Another place you can usually find a good selection of calls are the various trapper's conventions. Often many of the custom call makers go to the trapper's conventions with a selection of their calls.

Wesley, I hope this helps...and Good Luck,

I can answer most basic questions concerning predator trapping and some water trapping. Questions about lures, baits, sets, traps, trap treatment, modification, sizes, equipment, usage, etc. I have been certified by the Okla. Dept. of Wildlife Conservation, the old First Okla. Trapper`s Assoc., and the Okla. State Univ. Extension Service as a trapping instructor, and in years past have given classes to people wishing to learn the sport...I also have a couple decades experience in predator calling and can provide some basic answers to these questions as well.

30+ years running my own traplines, and 60+ years experience as a hunter, shooter, fisherman, and outdoorsman.

I have been certified by the Okla. Dept. of Wildlife Conservation, the old First Okla. Trapper`s Assoc., and the Okla. State Univ. Extension Service, as a trapping instructor... I have also received personal instruction from two professional ADC specialists.

As far as teaching what I know to others. I take this to be what you mean here... I have helped my son, and son in law, as well as given classes to a number of other people in this area, to help get them started in trapping and predator calling... I have had personal instruction from 2 professional government ADC specialists, and I have over 30 years experience running my own traplines, and 60+ years of experience in the outdoors...... I have a friend who is a troop leader with the Boy Scouts. In the past I have done several demonstrations on trapping and predator calling for the boys, and on a number of occasions have helped the troop to set up and run a trapline during the winter, with proceeds going to the troop.