Hybrid Vehicles/Portable Microwave Oven Model Design.

Question
Dear Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

Is it possible to design and construct a Portable Microwave oven product which may be useful to carry while travelling by vehicle viz car, jeep etc ?.

Since it is portable, it will be battery operated - secondary source of energy as well as the portable oven's weight has to be considered. Power - battery voltage, current required for the microwave oven has to be calculated.

Also considerations will be whether all the microwave  functions can be embedded in this mini portable microwave oven model.

The Portable Microwave oven can be placed in a briefcase while transit.

Is it feasible to construct this product ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Yes, such a thing can be designed.  You have a good grasp of the numbers you have to match up for oven watts, inverter, and battery capacity for an off-the shelf prototype.  The weight of a standard microwave is mostly in the magnetron, which will be hard to reduce.  You can probably find a battery and inverter that will pack handily on the back and give a useful duration.  Ni-Cads are good for high discharge rates.  A fitted nylon bag might be the quick way to portability.

Hybrid Vehicles

Bob Stuart