Hybrid Vehicles/Portable Microwave Oven Model Design.

Dear Bob

Is it possible to design and construct a Portable Microwave oven product which may be useful to carry while travelling by vehicle viz car, jeep etc ?.

Since it is portable, it will be battery operated - secondary source of energy as well as the portable oven's weight has to be considered. Power - battery voltage, current required for the microwave oven has to be calculated.

Also considerations will be whether all the microwave  functions can be embedded in this mini portable microwave oven model.

The Portable Microwave oven can be placed in a briefcase while transit.

Is it feasible to construct this product ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Yes, such a thing can be designed.  You have a good grasp of the numbers you have to match up for oven watts, inverter, and battery capacity for an off-the shelf prototype.  The weight of a standard microwave is mostly in the magnetron, which will be hard to reduce.  You can probably find a battery and inverter that will pack handily on the back and give a useful duration.  Ni-Cads are good for high discharge rates.  A fitted nylon bag might be the quick way to portability.

Hybrid Vehicles

Bob Stuart

I'm best on questions of the suitability of new technologies, but will try to keep up with retail offerings of hybrid vehicles too.

Designing human-electric hybrids.

International Human Powered Vehicle Association

4th Annual Velomobile Seminar proceedings, many listserv postings.

few academics, but my 1st prototype won a world championship, and I've lectured to engineers.