Hybrid Vehicles/Multi-fuel

Question
I've read about earlier trucks using multi-fuel engine, meaning it could use either diesel, gasoline and kerosene for fuel, e.g. Bedford trucks (UK) during the 1960. How is this possible?

Nowadays we have liquid natural gas used in diesel trucks. Again how does this work?

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

Answer
A diesel is very agnostic about fuel, since the heat of compression is an excellent igniter.  The ignition is timed by the injection of the fuel, instead of a spark.  LNG would need less of a pressure boost than most.  Accidentally filling a tank with gasoline instead of diesel is mostly a problem in details of lubrication, but it runs.  
Earlier multi-fuel engines, such as pre-'31 Fords, had a switch to run on a richer mix of ethanol, and were sometimes used with kerosene after warm-up.  

Hybrid Vehicles

Bob Stuart