Hypertension/Blood pressure of 190/80

Question
I have had a physical recently and have not been diagnosed with hypertension. However, due to an illness , I have been very stressed and when I go to the specialist my blood pressure zooms. My new medications are Lyrica for facial nerve pain and ambien. Could it be the stress or the medications causing a rise in blood pressure from 130/70? I am in my last 60's.

Answer
Sress can easily increase blood pressure. This is a version of so-called white-coat hypertnesion. It might be advisable that you obtain a blood pressure measurement device to get some home readings.  The home reading would be a more reliable number to use as the basis for treatment or not.

Domenic Sica, M.D.

Hypertension

Domenic Sica