Hypertension/Blood pressure of 190/80

I have had a physical recently and have not been diagnosed with hypertension. However, due to an illness , I have been very stressed and when I go to the specialist my blood pressure zooms. My new medications are Lyrica for facial nerve pain and ambien. Could it be the stress or the medications causing a rise in blood pressure from 130/70? I am in my last 60's.

Sress can easily increase blood pressure. This is a version of so-called white-coat hypertnesion. It might be advisable that you obtain a blood pressure measurement device to get some home readings.  The home reading would be a more reliable number to use as the basis for treatment or not.

Domenic Sica, M.D.

Domenic Sica

All aspects of hypertension as well as any consideration in drug therapy for the management of hypertension.

Heavily published in the area of drug therapy in hypertension and renal disease. Primary management physician for a large multi-state referral practice for diagnosis and management of complex hypertension

Multiple including the American Society of Hypertension, International Society of Hypertension, American Society of Nephrology, American Heart Association, American College of Clinical Pharmacology amongst others.

Over 250 publications (see PubMed)

Board certified in internal medicine, nephrology, clinical pharmacology, and hypertension

Multiple awards as clinical and/or teacher of the year.

Not pertinent