Hypertension/high blood pressure

Question
I am a 54 year old male. I am of normal weight,don't smoke or drink. I recently had a double hernia surgery. I am 5 weeks out from surgery. I am unable to do much physical exertion. I checked my blood pressure and it read 136 over 80. When should a person see a dr about this ? Also how do you get true reading ? Everytime I take it I get different reading. I heard somebody say take it four times in a row and use a average, another person said use the last reading.
Thank You.
Doug.

Answer
Good evening, Doug.

Your blood pressure should be less than 140/90.  The pressure you gave is less than 140/90, therefore, it is normal.

It is also normal for your pressure to fluctuate, as long as it is consistently less than 140/90.

If you blood pressure is less than 140/90 and you are not diabetic, you needn't see a doctor.

Thanks for the question.

Dr Falkinburg

Hypertension

Newell R. Falkinburg, M.D. FACP