Hypertension/Wide pulse pressure

Question
I don't have high blood pressure, it is usually in the 120/80 range.  But occasionally when I take it at home it will be more like 130/64.  I had read that is a bigger stretch then normal.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  I do have PVCs, so would it be possible that the cuff is missing a beat and therefore not getting a correct reading?

Answer
Good evening, Linda.

Both of those pressures are well within the normal range for a non-diabetic and require no attention.

The "stretch" to which you refer, I think is the pulse pressure (the difference between the systolic and diastolic values or 130-64 = 66) is higher than the other value but is not abnormal and requires no attention.

You should know that pressures in the 120's and 130's  are considered by some to represent pre-hypertension because many, with such pressures, will go on to develop hypertension (a blood pressure above 139/99).  Therefore, it would be prudent for you to monitor your blood pressure at least annually and entertain lifestyle changes such as limiting your salt ingestion, weight loss, if you are overweight and a vigorous aerobic exercise program.

Hope this is useful to you and thanks for using Allexperts.

Sincerely,

Dr falkinburg

Hypertension

Newell R. Falkinburg, M.D. FACP