Hypertension/Wide pulse pressure

I don't have high blood pressure, it is usually in the 120/80 range.  But occasionally when I take it at home it will be more like 130/64.  I had read that is a bigger stretch then normal.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  I do have PVCs, so would it be possible that the cuff is missing a beat and therefore not getting a correct reading?

Good evening, Linda.

Both of those pressures are well within the normal range for a non-diabetic and require no attention.

The "stretch" to which you refer, I think is the pulse pressure (the difference between the systolic and diastolic values or 130-64 = 66) is higher than the other value but is not abnormal and requires no attention.

You should know that pressures in the 120's and 130's  are considered by some to represent pre-hypertension because many, with such pressures, will go on to develop hypertension (a blood pressure above 139/99).  Therefore, it would be prudent for you to monitor your blood pressure at least annually and entertain lifestyle changes such as limiting your salt ingestion, weight loss, if you are overweight and a vigorous aerobic exercise program.

Hope this is useful to you and thanks for using Allexperts.

Dr falkinburg

Newell R. Falkinburg, M.D. FACP

Any question regarding hypertension or clinical nephrology

35 years of experience in the field of nephrology & hypertension. Emeritus Professor of clinical Medicine at a major medical school and director of Nephrology & Hypertension at a university affiliated medical center.

M.D. Board certified internal medicine Board certified Nephrology & hypertension

Fellow, American College of Physicians