Hypnosis/self-affirmation and visualisation

In Psychology, it is a well known fact that one can change oneself through positive self-affirmation & visualisation .It is believed that the self-affirmations to the subconscious mind is best done in an “already achieved mode”. For example, a student who is weak in mathematics and wish to improve on it should say the self-affirmations as “I am excellent at mathematics” & also visualize himself as ALREADY being good at Maths repeatedly. Or a person who is a coward could reprogram his mind by saying to himself,” I am brave”,etc. This is so that the subconscious mind is set with the positive intended goal and thus will program the whole body with the message. But the question is that such self-affirmation is not the truth (or not the truth yet). When he is telling himself that he is ALREADY being good at Maths, he is actually “lying “to himself.
So, would it better to say ,”I am getting better and better at maths “ rather than “I am excellent at maths”?

I Love this question, it asks of the morality of lying to oneself!  Allow me to answer short but hopefully specific.  The very reason for the affirmation as you stated was to bring about change, that is improvement.  To suggest that I'm in the process of ...  would not convince the mind that you have the capacity to achieve it, relegating the statement to a wish, and therefore a statement without authority.
The primary idea then is to have the belief that the statement holds all the conviction necessary to bring it into reality, thus truth.
Therefore the statement "I am brave" stated with emphasis is now a statement to myself of my now current state of being.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Danny Jackson CHt
Act Now Wellness Center

Danny Jackson CHt

I can answer all types of questions on the topic of hypnosis, particularly as it relates to the areas of Smoking Cessation, weight loss, addiction, & mental health issues.

Danny Jackson CHt., a Certified Hypnotist / Hypnotherapist, Counselor, and EFT (Emotional Freedom Therapy) practitioner, is renowned for his ability to help those, even when others have been unsuccessful. It is for this reason client’s visit his offices in Florida from around the country. Danny has spent the majority of the past 4 years working with clients suffering from addiction and dependence on a variety of substances of abuse. Another large group of his clients have been comprised of clients with mental health issues including depression, panic attacks (anxiety), ADHD / ADD, Bipolar Disorder, and much more.He has received praise for the work he has done from Mental Health Professionals, but he states the most significant praise he receives comes from the clients themselves once they experience freedom from the negative thoughts and emotions they have been battling for years, sometimes decades. When asked about his practices success he states simply that his success is made one client at a time. It maybe this belief in the direct correlation between his client's success and his own that makes each session and each client’s success so important. His practice currently provides clients relief through downloadable mp3 and CD sessions, private sessions both in office and via tele hypnosis for those clients that prefer hypnosis session from the comfort of their own homes or offices, and in group sessions for companies, associations, and organizations.

American Hypnosis Association (AHA)

My article "Quit Smoking Without Withdrawal Symptoms" has appeared on the following sites: and many others as well.

CHt. Certified Hypnotist

As part of my commitment to my clients, I do not make public past nor current clients.