Hypnosis/alpha state

QUESTION: How can I tell when I'm in the Alpha State?  This is very difficult to gauge for me.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Mark,

You know you're in Alpha state when you feel your body completely relaxed, somewhat heavy, and find it harder to make a decision to move around. It's the same feeling you have early in the morning, when you're just waking up, in those few moments of half asleep and half aware of the surrounding.

Shlomo Vaknin, C.Ht

QUESTION: What is the best way to get into alpha state?

Hi Mark,

Alpha state is quite easy to reach with almost any relaxation technique.

Try this, for example:

Sit comofrtably in a quiet room, close your eyes, count slowly from 10 to 1 and with every count concentrate closely on your breathing pattern. Breath in deeply and exhale slowly. Keep your focus on your breathing and at one point you'll notice your body is feeling heavier. Spend as much time as you'd like in that state and then count up from 1 to 10, slowly, open your eyes, stretch your body, tell yourself you're awake and move around.

That's a basic experience for first level hypnosis, or Alpha state.

Good luck! and happy holidays,

Shlomo Vaknin, C.Ht