Hypoglycemia/low blood sugar

Hi Jen,

I'm asking this question as a follow up to a question I sent a short while I'm in the UK I was unsure of the American blood sugar measurement equivalents. So, I'll ask the question with the (rough) U.S equivalents (still unsure of how to work it out! :P)

Basically, I was concerned as my blood sugar is very low. As a student nurse we work with diabetics on sliding scale insulin and the basic main reference for normal blood glucose would be 4 to 7 mmol, or 72mg/dl to 126mg/dl.

I sometimes feel dizzy/faint, especially if I haven't eaten for four or five hours. However my blood pressure is also on the low side so I always put it down to that.

I took my blood sugar one day after dinner, out of curiosity. It was about half an hour to an hour after eating my main meal. My blood sugar was 54.9mg/dl. That worried me, so the next day, I woke up, and drank a coffee with sweetener, and some cereal, fruit and milk. Around 30 minutes later I checked my glucose and it was 59.4. So, I ate a banana, and it went to 62. I was worried so I made some tea with lots of sugar and milk and my blood sugar went to 97.2.

I went to see my doctor and she was very unconcerned. She said she would test me for diabetes if I insisted but wouldn't want to as I have no other symptoms. She said if I don't eat for five hours and feel dizzy then just eat. But I am concerned that when I do eat, my blood sugar is too low. I've also read that blood sugar should be around 90mg/ blood sugar is usually always below that. The highest it has ever been is when I had a treat day where I ate lots of unhealthy food and made myself feel ill. I ate Chinese takeaway, sugary sauces, chocolate, and coca cola. My blood sugar went to 115. But if I eat normally it's always below 90 and usually below 72 (after eating)

Is this normal?

Thanks for reading :) I look forward to your reply

Thank you for making the conversions, it helps! You're right, 54.9 is low on the scale and can make you start to feel weid. From what I see of your diet, you might consider adding more protein and good quality fat. This helps balance blood sugar. And stopping coffee, sugary sauces, chocolate (unless 70% or greater), coca cola, etc is a must!   
Have you heard of eating Paleo? Many people are doing very well on it that have blood sugar issues.
Another thing to check into if adrenal fatigue. You can find information here on my blog

Hope this helps!

Jen Crippen

I cannot answer questions that would give medical advice, diagnose, or treat people's hypoglycemia.

I have been a natural health practitioner in Illinois since 2001 and have educated thousands of people on nutrition and healthy living. Although, this did not prepare me for what happened in 2007 when I became very ill with adrenal fatigue and hypoglycemia. I have been able to correct my health issues working along with my doctors as partners on my team. I encourage people to go back to their doctors, get educated, and become empowered patients. I've gone to the school of hard knocks the my own health and feel obligated to share with others how I got better. Plus, my experience as and educator and author helps :)

Essential Lifestyle Magazine Ezine

B.S. Environmental Science Licensed Massage Therapist IL Currently enrolled in Masters Degree Program in Holistic Nutrition Expert Aromatherapist Neurolink Practitioner Iridology Tongue, Face, & Nail Analysis Reiki Master Teacher

I have a few thousand clients that I have worked with since 2001 regarding natural health education - either via seminars, tele-trainings, newsletters, etc. In my private practice, I maintain a select group of clients averaging about 10 a week. I see them in my office or consult via telephone.