Hyundai Repair/Hyundai Santa Fe 2004 Paint Problem

chris wrote at 2008-11-14 12:06:59
I personally have a hyundai santa fe 2004 and when I bought it the hood had to be repainted because there were chips in the paint. This year the same place the repainted the car the paint began to fade again. I fought it until it was painted.

zestar wrote at 2010-03-01 02:32:02
Automotive painting is a science.

A typical finish consists of four layers:

1) electrocoat - provides corrosion protection

2) primer - protects electrocoat, stone chip resistance, adhesion

between basecoat and elctrocoat

3) basecoat - provides color to the vehicle

4) clearcoat - sunlight protection, scratch resistance, gloss and appearance properties

Film thickness is a criteria used by the auto industry to ensure durability.

Each of the 4 layers must be at the proper film thickness specification.

If any of the individual layers is below specification. The vehicle would

be considered a factory paint defect.

A visible manifestation of low film thickness is paint peeling, body rusting and stone chipping.

Since the mid 1990s the auto industry while retaining ownership of the paint facilities have outsourced the process and quality responsibilities to multiple paint suppliers.

Outsourcing in this application is defined as a process in which a company assigns its in-house operations to a third party.

Specifics on automotive paint suppliers roles within the facilities may be found in textbooks published

both in Europe and America. The most recent textbook being released in 2008.

The paint suppliers actively market and advertise their outsourcing expertise with terms such as

"Cost Per Unit" or "Pay As Painted" supplier programs. Outsourcing [Cost Per Unit] programs are

common throughout Europe and America within the auto industry.

Low film thickness will cause paint failures.

A quick internet search for the following:

Toyota Paint Problems, Toyota Paint Peeling

Ford Paint Problems, Ford Paint Peeling

GM Paint Problems, GM Paint Peeling

Chrysler Paint Problems, Chrysler Paint Peeling

Honda Paint Problems, Honda Paint Peeling

Nissan Paint Problems, Nissan Paint Peeling

will return results back in the millions.

Public Interest best served by a "Truth in Finish Disclosure" with the purchase of any vehicle.  

tommy henderson wrote at 2010-04-22 13:43:04
I have a 2004 Santa Fe in witch the paint can off on the area between the side windows in less than 3 years. My dealer said I would have to pay to take care of repainting. I also have numerous areas on my car where the paint is fading out, this started with the car barely over 4 years old. I keep my car waxed  because it dose sit out, but you would thing a paint job would last more than 4 years.

tjn wrote at 2011-11-11 03:24:06
we own a 2003 hyundai santa fe, the clearcoat is coming off the car at the hood, along the top of the fenders and up the windshield posts, it is also starting on the rear posts, this started a year or so ago and it seems to be with the black color models that we have seen, new york city area, this definitely seems to be a paint issue from the factory, i hope they do something to rectify the problem, the car looks terrible and it is only a reflection of hyundai's lack of quality control. tjn

PeelingPaint wrote at 2012-03-01 18:13:11
Wow, we have a 2004 Sante Fe and the paint has peeled off in the areas where the air hits it the most when driving (hood fenders, front pillars, front of the roof).  It looks terrible.  Both the clear coat and color have come off indicating that the color was poorly applied.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has had Hyundai fix this.  Thanks

nothappywithpaint wrote at 2012-04-02 04:57:20
Me too. My paint looks awful. I bought mine used from a Hyundai dealer. I took it to them and they said it was the worst looking car that that had seen. They told me that they wouldn't even take a trade for it....They told me to call Hyundai. They said that because it was not under warranty, they couldn't do a thing about it. I am embarrassed with the paint. Would love to hear more people who had this problem. Lawyer boyfriend is interested.  

nothappysantafe wrote at 2012-06-27 18:08:43
I have a 2004 too. The clear coat is awful. I took it to my dealer. He also said that it was the worst car he has ever seen. He told me that it was my fault. I tried to call headquarters but they said they only have a year warranty on the paint! They also said that they wouldn't even trade it in. My lawyer boyfriend is interested too....contact me!

Donna wrote at 2013-11-20 00:16:34
I have a 2005 black Hyundai Santa Fe & I have the same problem. First it started on the hood, then the roofv & now it's everywhere. I'm just going to go to Maaco & pay to get a new paint job because other than that - it's a great vehicle. But I have noticed this on a lot of the black Santa Fe's that I see on the road.

Margaret wrote at 2014-05-21 11:24:50
I also have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe and I love it but I am having problems with the paint coming off also. You would think they would put better paint on them since they say there are 4 steps they use to keep the Santa Fe looking good. I also am getting mine repainted because other than that I love it. I drove it off the show room floor in Feb 2004.

Terri wrote at 2014-06-01 00:18:58
My 2004 Santa Fe was purchased brand new from the dealer. The paint on the passenger side of the front of my hood started peeling and flaking in the last 6 months. In the last 3 weeks I've noticed that there are two spots in the middle of the front of the roof right above the windshield. I will be writing and calling Hyundai until I get it repaired or they can explain to my satisfaction why this is happening. The Santa Fe's last too long for this to be happening. I have seen Sonatas, Scoupes and Tiburons a lot older than 9 yrs. who don't have this paint problem.

Indiana Mom wrote at 2015-04-12 00:56:27
I own a 2004 Santa Fe Merlot in color. The paint on the hood, front fenders and front of roof looks like it has dried salt on it. This is where the paint is peeling and it looks awful. Living in Chicago suburbs we washed that car at least once twice a month and once a week when there is salt on the roads. The paint on my son's 21 year old ACURA TSX looks better than my Hyundai. Like so many others who have posted here I will be getting it re-painted.

Fenixrize wrote at 2016-04-20 00:16:07
I have a 2011 Hyundai Santafe the handles started peeling 2013.  The place I purchased from checkerd flag... twice I took in did not note my account and only took pictures.  Next the hood peeled and a spot on roof.  BBB will not do anything or Hyundai themselves. Looks to me a lot of people are having the same issues. Would love to gather info so we can start a class action.

Hyundai Repair

Randall