Hyundai Repair/Hyundai Terracan overheating

John wrote at 2010-09-13 00:38:16
Hello, i have had the same problem with my Terracan 2006 diesel also towing a 2.2 tonne van, the problem ended up being broken earth wire from engine to chassis (lh side).

There was no boiling or loss of water

Also had problem looked at by another dealer in N.T.

& they repaired a faulty earth behind the instrument panel.

Hope this is of a help

John

Brian wrote at 2012-02-06 10:44:22
I own an '06 Terracan and had the same problem. Parkes Hyundai worked on it and after some research, cleaned all the earth straps on the motor(apparently there's two) make sure there is a really good connection. We've had no trouble since. That was mid Sept2011 and we tow a 20 ft van.

Remington wrote at 2012-04-16 02:11:49
My 2007 Terracan apparently overheated towing a 2 tonne van.  I changed the thermostat and downsized to a 1 tonne van (for other reasons).  Temperture raced up to red zone when pulling up a steep hill with no loss of coolant ever.  RAC changed the battery for me and body earth wouldnt fit so they left it off also had a loose positive terminal.  I cleaned the engine earth, reconnected the body earth, problem solved

wscreens wrote at 2013-12-06 03:09:40
Writers to you have complained about diesel terracans overheating -

is it really overheating as there is a problem / an earthing fault in the dash where when the radiator thermostat temperature reaches 97/98 degrees then if you have the a/c turned on and or the headlights on then the indash temperature goes berserk and indicates the car is about to boil - The ECM is driven from another /2nd sensor in the thermostat housing and as such the car will go it to limp mode at 117/118 degrees to protect it - there is no connection between the dash gauge and this sensor

The fault basically is with the extra earth currents being drawn through the dash / instruments and a high earth resistance then there is a increased voltage created across this resistance and this causes the dash temperature gauge to indicate the car is about to boil - if you turn off the A/C and Headlights the dash temperature gauge will fall and give you an indication of the real thermostat temperature -

Hyundai are  aware of this problem but not advertise the fix - they have a tech document that explains the problem and the fix in detail  

wscreens wrote at 2013-12-22 07:01:11
is it really overheating -

With the dash gauge thermostat temperature in excess of 98/99 degrees then

1-  If you have the A/C on then the in dash temp gauge reads incorrectly - hotter than normal - turn the a/c off the in dash gauge reads correctly

2 - If you have the headlights turned on then the in dash temp gauge reads incorrectly - hotter than normal - turn the headlights off and the dash gauge reads correctly

3 - if you have both headlights and A/C on then the in dash temp gauge reads incorrectly - much hotter than normal -  turn both headlights and A/C off and then the in dash temp gauge reads correctly / goes berserk

The fault is in the cars instrument panel - to keep this short - when ever the dash gauge thermostat temp reaches 98/99 degrees then if you have the A/C on and or the headlights on  then the earth currents required are much higher and as such increases the voltage drop across the cars internal wiring and the in dash temp gauge goes ballistic

The ECM is driven from another /2nd sensor in the thermostat housing and as such the car will go it to limp mode at 117/118 degrees to protect it - there is no connection between the dash gauge and this sensor

The resolution is to provide better / heavier / clean all the earth connection in the dash of the car and also to provide additional earth wiring - the original wiring is marginal / too light / thin  

Hyundai Repair

HT