ICU/Critical Care/my mom is in icu need to decide the next step

Question
my mother is 67 years old and is in icu, she have copd, and symptoms of multiple myeloma, she has been in the icu for 7 days, she is already in vent,she is sedated, they need to drain fluid in her lungs because of the pneumonia..she is still strong, when she is awake nurses say she tries to remove her tubes, and her blanket. She squeezes our hand so tight when visiting. But as days goes by we feel she is not improving, my father feels that it all the tubes and machines the only reason she's still alive.. we have already been discussing if it is already time to take her off the vent, and remove her in icu, she never liked it inside the icu. as days passed by we feel that she is just suffering, that it may be better if we can be with her.. but i feel its like giving up hope..at her state, being already supported with a ventilator, and being in the icu, does it mean that we are just prolonging the inevitable? or is there still a chance for her to breath on her own, she is still strong and not in vegetive stae. she just seems so angry and afraid because of the tubes and being in the icu. what can we do?

Answer
Dear Catherine,

I am very sorry for what you and your family are going through. Unfortunately, the question is not an easy one to answer. Each individual has a different scenario. Your best indication is asking the ICU physicians what her prognosis is. If she has a poor prognosis, with a poor quality of life, it would be in her best interest to consider comfort measures at this time. Wishing you all the best.

ICU/Critical Care

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC