ICU/Critical Care/After affects of an induced coma

I was put into an induced coma 5 weeks ago and was in one for 13 days, since being "woken" up I have had episodes of confusion,although these episodes are less frequent I still get confused as to what has really happened since I first initially woke up, i.e - I was convinced my sisters had come to the hospital in a taxi to pick me up but this never happened..., also since coming home I have started to shake at times,like shivering but I am not cold ??? My legs still feel weak and my knee hurts. I have also had nightmares and wake in the night in a confused state.

Dear Helen,

This is a normal progression of being in the Intensive Care Unit. Although you were in a coma, you were not completely unconscious. It is called conscious sedation, meaning you are unconscious enough to allow the nursing staff to care for you without causing you "conscious" anxiety. The term ICU psychosis is a very real syndrome associated with being in the ICU. There is no day or night, your care continues 24 hours a day; therefore, your ability to rest at night is taken away.

It is a good idea to speak with a professional to help you to transition through this. Wishing you all the best!

ICU/Critical Care

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I am able to answer questions regarding critical care issues including the cardiac system, pulmonary system, gastrointestinal system, gallbladder, small bowel obstructions, crohn's disease, diverticulitis, general abdominal surgery, ventilator management, ARDS, dehydration, heart failure, kidney failure, shock. pneumona, surgical complications, disease process.

I am a Hospitalist at a local hospital and in the emergency department. I am on the Medical Staff. I round, admit, discharge, consult and assist with surgeries in the OR. I manage patients in the ICU and Med/Surg floors.

Society of Hospital Medicine American College of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Practice Nurse Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Golden Key Honor Society; Merit Award Recipient; Scholarship Recipient

Trained at Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT - Open Heart Cardiac Intensive Care Post Anesthesia Care Unit & Radiology Internship Interned at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas Trained at St. Mary's Hospital, Waterbury, CT - emergency Department & Hospitalist Program