ICU/Critical Care/Father in ICU septic pneumonia

Question
7 days ago my father (83) ended up in ICU with sepsis and septic pneumonia. What started as a trip to the ER for a blockage turned into the worst week of my life. During a simple procedure involving a tube down his nose into his stomach, he aspirated the contents of his stomach into his lungs. Meticulously, he survivived despite every doctor telling us he would die. One thing is for sure he is a fighter. In 2 weeks his fever down and BP stabilized without medicine. His lungs unfortunately still show no improvement. He is on 3 different antiobioics. Our immediate crisis is that my father is dependent on the ventilator and we are now being told about a tracheotomy. We have had 3 different ICU doctors and all of them have discussed the trach and everything involved. The last ICU doctor said it would be easier to wean off the trach then the ventilator. The new ICU dr of the past couple of days has decided to tell us, in the last days, that if my father went on the trach he would end up spending the rest of his life hooked up to machines living in a nursing home. I immediately called his internist (who is here everyday) who did not agree with that statement. Bottom line is, my fathers issue weaning is because of all the fluids they give him to keep his BP up. When they give him lasix it helps his weaning (lasted 4 hours the other day compared to the 30 minutes today) but then his BP drops significantly. We need a solution

Answer
Dear Stacey,

I agree with the internist. Not only will it be easier to wean your father off the trach, but it will make it much easier for him to communicate. I cannot promise that he will be independent of the ventilator, but at some point a decision needs to be made to either trach him, or take him off the ventilator and put him on comfort measures. The endotracheal tube will eventually cause erosion on the trachea.

As far as his blood pressure, his blood pressure is low because his circulatory system is dilated. Secondary to infection, inflammation, heart failure and age, the blood vessels are not constricting well enough to properly pump the blood back to the heart. This is when he will have swollen ankles and/or fluid in his lungs. The Lasix gets rid of the extra fluid, but decreases the amount of fluid in the body, dropping his blood pressure. Only medication can help this; either a drug to help the heart to better contract, or a drug to help the body constrict the peripheral blood vessels. I imagine that he is on these medications, and now it is a waiting game for when his body will respond.

In closing, do not be afraid of the trach. If anything it will give him some comfort and a way to communicate.  

ICU/Critical Care

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC