ICU/Critical Care/Ventilator/Trac

Question
My father had surgery for spinal stenosis on March 22.  He was fully incubated for 2 wks, he now has a trac.  Tomorrow will be 4 wks that he has been on a ventilator.  He has serious heart issues too.  Before the surgery they told us that is was working at about 25-28%.  He also has only one kidney and it's working at about 30%.  His blood pressure doesn't go much above 95/53.  He has been throwing PVC's off and on.  My question is, can we expect him to come off the ventilator after this period of time? How much stress on the heart is it?  My sister and I are trying to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Answer
Dear Victoria,

Being on the ventilator is allowing your father to breath without putting any unnecessary pressure on his heart. There is no time limit for your father to come off the ventilator. Once he is able to breathe on his own and oxygenate his body adequately, he can be extubated. The tracheostomy tube can be removed and the stoma will close. Discuss his prognosis with the intensivist. Ask how his weaning trials are coming along. Weaning trials are periods of time that the patients own respiratory drive is assessed. It is an indication of when he may be able to come off the ventilator. Wishing you and your dad all the best.  

ICU/Critical Care

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC