ICU/Critical Care/Mental status after extended stay in ICU

I am asking this question for someone who has been a friend for 35 years,  After his left lung was removed on April due to stage 1 cancer he has spent 8 weeks in the hospital and all but 3 days in ICU.  He went from a ventilator to a ventilator.  I asked them to remove the Haladol and his mental state got a little better.  Unfortunately, he strides between his dream state and reality.  Very lucid at times, then extremely aggitated.  This is understandable not being able to communicate.  Three days ago, they pluged the trac and he is breathing from oxygen in his nose.  He is on antibiotics from pnemonia and Myrsa in the trach..  He is responding and got to walk with pt for the first time today.  What needs to be done to help him transition from hallucinations to clarity.  I know it seems very real to him.  Would a drug for adhd help him gain focus and clarity. His younger brother is add and he is as well, but has never seen a doctor about the problem.

Dear Shirley,

ICU psychosis is a real disorder secondary to a prolonged stay in the intensive care unit. Critical care is required 24 hours a day seven days a week; therefore there is no day or night to the patient. Just constant nursing care. It will take him a while to get over the psychosis. I would discuss this with a psychiatrist at the hospital. You can request a consultation.

ICU/Critical Care

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I am able to answer questions regarding critical care issues including the cardiac system, pulmonary system, gastrointestinal system, gallbladder, small bowel obstructions, crohn's disease, diverticulitis, general abdominal surgery, ventilator management, ARDS, dehydration, heart failure, kidney failure, shock. pneumona, surgical complications, disease process.

I am a Hospitalist at a local hospital and in the emergency department. I am on the Medical Staff. I round, admit, discharge, consult and assist with surgeries in the OR. I manage patients in the ICU and Med/Surg floors.

Society of Hospital Medicine American College of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Practice Nurse Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Golden Key Honor Society; Merit Award Recipient; Scholarship Recipient

Trained at Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT - Open Heart Cardiac Intensive Care Post Anesthesia Care Unit & Radiology Internship Interned at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas Trained at St. Mary's Hospital, Waterbury, CT - emergency Department & Hospitalist Program