ICU/Critical Care/removal of trache

Question
My brother had a trache put in four weeks ago during a procedure to look into his lung. His airway closed and he agreed to let them put the trache in to see into his lung. The lung doctor told him afterwards that it could be taken out before he left the hospital as ling as the surgeon that did it agreed. He left the hospital with it still in. He wants it out and has taken it completely out numerous times. He has no problem breathing on his own and the nurses that come once a week has been told by him he wants it out. They have told him there could be serious complications from him taking it out and then putting it back himself and he just tells them I want it out! The surgeon who placed it is refusing to take it out. We don't know what to do. He is 59 and is in his right mind. We are concerned about infections or complications with him doing this but we want to support his decisions about his own body. What can we do?

Answer
Dear Tamela,

There is a reason that the surgeon is refusing to take it out. Ask for a family meeting to include your brother, yourself, and the surgeon. Find out what the concerns are, and then discuss the options with the surgeon. Keeping the trach in is not benefiting the surgeon in any way.  

ICU/Critical Care

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC