IP Telephony/Is it possible to use my mobile to call from landline?

Question
QUESTION: Hi there,

Is it possible to use my mobile to call from landline?

I want to connect my mobile which is samsung galaxy note 2 to landline.

i will try to explain it in better way.

my land line company offers unlimited call to any numbers nation wide.
i want to connect by mobile through Internet, so when i call any number it uses my land line to call.
it may be connected through any mean, VOIP or SIP or something else.

may be this help to understand it better.
landline --> Router --> computer --> VOIP or sip app control --> connected to mobile through SIP.

Please help.

Best regards

ANSWER: Hi Shuaib,

the only way that I know to do this effectively is to use Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/). However, you will need to invest quite a lot of time to set this up. Asterisk connects your landline to the computer.

You then have three options:

1. Use a soft client on your mobile.
You download a free SIP or IAX soft client to your mobile. You logon with this client to your Asterisk server at home via the internet or WLAN. Then you have a soft phone. With this phone you can dial any number and it will dial out via your landline at home.

2. Dial in and Dial back out
Use your normal mobile hard phone to call into your Asterisk via your own landline number at home. The Asterisk will recognize your Caller-Id and give you a second dial tone automatically. Using the DTMF keys on the keypad of your phone, you call back out via your landline to the number you want.

3. Remote call control
Using a web application on your Asterisk you can type in the number you want to call using the browser. Asterisk will then first call you on your mobile then call the number you wish to call and connect both of you automatically.

I hope this helps.

QUESTION: thanks again for your help.
can you guide me, which application from asterisk i can download to complete this job.

ANSWER: It depends which option you want to do.

How do you want to connect with your phone? Using a softclient? Or dialing in?

QUESTION: i want to use 1st option, as you explained earlier.

1. Use a soft client on your mobile.

Thanks.

Answer
For this, you need no other application - just asterisk. You will require a soft client for your mobile. If you search for SIP Client I am sure you will find many. Are you using an Android or iPhone device?

To connect to your landline you will require a gateway that connects PSTN to VoIP. I can recommend the Linksys SPA3102

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10027/index.html

Or perhaps your PSTN provider already offers a landline service via VoIP?

IP Telephony

Gerry Magill