ISPs/Virtual Private NetworK (VPN) V/S RDP Remote Server Connectivity.

Question
Dear G.T.Rao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network‎
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol‎

What could be the probable reasons that one is unable to establish connectivity to a VPN Server using VPN Client software ?.

Many times one is unable to establish connectivity to the VPN Server.

But one is always able to establish connectivity to a RDP Server using RDP Client software.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Mr Prashant,
The two do not belong to the similar architecture: VPN is dedicated BW made available in Virtual sense from the available Backbone in the Network. And RDP is proprietary Protocol of Microsoft for its various versions. So far as connectivity is concerned it is the QoS of each of the architectures that have merits and demerits. I am not sure as to how we can compare these two. There may not be any specific reason for not getting VPN connectivity sometimes and similarly "always" which I have my reservations, for RDP.
In general Network designers do not give "always" connectivity to any type of Protocol and any type of Servers.
You may be lucky to get the later always but it is empirical. And mostly this is statistical.
Cheers/GTRao

ISPs

G.T. Rao