IT and Business Architecture/Design

Question
QUESTION: I am at a decision point. I am a professional trader and and trying to decide to go with a cloud based, server based or pc based platform for developing my software. I need reliability, security, a website and a dev-test-prod environment for outside programmers. I run 12 monitors and use memory intensive software.I do not need to account for users beyond 5 users.

Thank you
Dave

ANSWER: Dave:

Some of this may well sound like jargon to you; but any decent tech center could give you the equipment to support it. Cloud based computing is ideal when you have high volumes of users and data that needs to be shared remotely. This really does not appear to be the case in your discussion.  But given the limited set you gave, I would probably to a workgroup LAN pc based with a shared NAS device, given the fluidity of the data High in and out I would not use a USB connected device but probably Ethernet, with RAID 5.  This will ensure that anything critical can be recovered if one of the drives failed.  This would also support VOIP, so your telephony could be integrated into your computers.  I would not go with a server per say as the administration skills and cost would mean you would have to be hosted, and then again it would be remote.

Royden Akerley
Enterprise Architect

QUESTION: Happy New Year Royden,

Can a server share an single application where client pcs access and manipulate the program? For example, In the web world java allows for mutli-user game playing. How does that work on a sever and LAN? Can I write a program, place it on a server and have 3 different computers all access the program in unique ways while saving preferences and storing customized settings that don't change the original server based program??

Answer
It is easy enough to find LAN aware software, usually the key is simply to ask for applications which separate user interfaces from back end database connection.  As to writing it as long as you understand session management and have each use session in its own container then they can co-exist with other sessions.

IT and Business Architecture

Royden Akerley