IT and Business Architecture/Stuck in thought- Websphere vs Networking

Karthik here. I am from India,  working in a IT company. I'm fresh out of college and have three months experience in a WAS,MQ admin role for a leading American bank. I was looking for an expert like you to know the scope and future for WAS and MQ related jobs. My job involves linux admin scripting and MQ troubleshooting and monitoring and handling issues in the live production environment. I don't do any deploy activity. I request you and would highly appreciate it, if you could  give me some answers to the following questions that have been clouding my mind for a few days.

What kind of scope and future does WAS and MQ technologies have?

What are the certifications/higher studies options I must pursue for career building if i Chose to stay with websphere?

Career wise, if I make a switch to networking would I be better off or is websphere better in terms of opportunities?

I would be really greatful if you could answer one if not all of the above queries. Thanks in advance !!!

Web Application Servers are going to be around for some time.  Let's face it there may be improvements or advances but no fundamental changes in it are expect in the next 20 years as it is the primary delivery mechanisms for internet content for business applications.  It will be over taken by SOA activities but blends well with it and can be executed as disconnected services from any modern BPM or SOA-BUS.

MQ is about as stable a messaging infrastructure as you can get, ignoring the IBM branding; the core of it is essentially queuing mechanisms for guaranteed message transport.  I  believe as a protocol it will still be around as it does not define the message being move but rather the how.

The best certifications are those native from the core providers.  General ones are mostly shams and have little respect in the industry.

If I were making a switch forget the branding, I would head for an ESB environment; the four biggest are TIBCO, SoftwareAG, IBM, and Oracle.

Hope this answers your questions.

Royden Akerley

IT and Business Architecture

Royden Akerley

Any architectural question relating to the business change, requirements, and solution design activities as a part of the business/IT development process. I can discuss SOA, and traditional development, design patterns, architectural paradigms, and professional accreditation (or associations).

1974 began as a system operator in SHL Atlantic. 1978 worked as developer and data base anlyst. 1986 became a software designer. 1989 became an enterprise level Technical Director and Architect for Blue Chip company. Ardent adherent to the ISO and CMM standards for process standardization and improvement since 1988 Concentrated on the design or re-engineering of large complex applications since 1989 (majority of projects were over $10M USD and 2 were over $100M USD) High-performance strategist focusing on optimizing efficiency and creating competitive advantage Respected professional, repeatedly recruited to build start-up IT infrastructures that bolster profitable growth, manage quality development/delivery activities, turnaround poorly performing programs, and architect solutions to maximize ROI. Thought leader and industry recognized expert in Service Oriented Architect, lecturing and consulting to industry and government globally. Contributes regularly and participates as speaker in 2-3 conferences a year around the globe. Led the architecture and integration of hardware, firmware and software relating to large-scale intranets and data inter/exchange using everything from EDI through FTP to XML for financial institutions, telecommunications firms and governments Exceptional communicator, who combines solid business and technical acumen while building consensus and creates synergy among diverse groups. Experience with Banking, Logistics, Telecommunications, Government Currently one of 5 Enterprise Architects for the worlds largest logistics and express company.

International Association of System Architects | Canadian Information Processing Society | World Wide Institute of Software Architects | Open group - Architecture Forum | Data Processing Management Association | International Programmers Guild

B Comm - Major: Data Processing Management, Minor: Accounting | Certificate - Scientific Computer Programming | M Sc - Information Science | DCS - Thesis - "Business Alignment, Change and IT Requirements Management"

CIPPA Award (1992, 2005) SIAAA Award (2008)

Aliant Communications | Atlantic Kidney Transplant Clinic | BC Workers Compensation Board | Brascan Power | CARIS | Corkette McConnell | DFA Philippines | DHL Express | DHL Global Forwarding | DHL SPL Asia | ESA | Globe Telecom | GTE | Hong Kong Government | LRA Philippines | LTO Philippines | Malaysia Government | Ministerio de la Salud Pública – Chile | NB Tel | NSO Philippines | PCI – Equitable Bank | PharmaCare | Phil Health | Rural Health Administration – Uganda | Smart Communications | World Health Organization