Identifying Unknown Plants/mystery weeds

Question
Blue Grass
Blue Grass  

Broad Leaf
Broad Leaf  
I have two weeds growing in my yard that I would like to get rid of, but I do not know what plants they are. One of them is a blue grass. The other has broad leaves. I live in central New York.

Answer
Hi Tammy,

I assume these weeds are in a lawn.  Do you know your type of lawngrass, for example, Fescue, Centipede, Carpetgrass, etc.  If you're not sure, take a sample to your local nursery, and they can recommend a selective herbicide for you.  Most selective herbicides target either broadleaved weeds or true grasses.  You have both, so you may have to spot treat the blue grass, unless they can recommend a lawn herbicide which doesn't effect your type of lawn grass, but is NOT recommended to be used on the weed grass.  For example, Atrazine (when properly applied) is safe for many lawngrasses, but kills annual bluegrass and annual ryegrass.  When choosing a selective herbicide, you want to consider several things.  Some herbicides move/leach through the soil more than others, so you want to be careful around the root zone of trees, and avoid drift to non-target plants or run-off to lakes and streams.  Also, certain herbicides may only be effective at certain temperatures.  Read the label thoroughly and discuss these points with your local nurseryman.
Thanks,
Susan Tabor  

Identifying Unknown Plants

Susan Tabor