Identifying Unknown Plants/White lilac?

Question
Greetings!

When we moved into our current home several years ago, the previous tenant had planted a lilac bush. It was a bit bedraggled, but it eventually started to come back around, and the last 3 years it's bloomed. What's gotten me curious is that it starts blooming early to mid May, for about a month, and blooms before the other lilacs in the area even think about it. It's very strongly scented (you can smell it indoors, despite the fact it's in the side yard where there's no windows), and most intriguing to me, it blooms white flowers. at first we thought it was a mineral deficiency, but now we wonder if it might not be a specific variety. I'm hoping you might be able to help us. without pruning, it currently stands 12-15 feet tall, and it's not very wide at all, much more tree-shaped than shrub or bush. The leaves and blossoms start about 4-5 feet from the ground, and the spread is probably 4-5 feet. We live in the US, southern Ohio region. thank you so much for your time.

Answer
Amanda
Lilacs are in the Genus - Syringa...There are some white varieties...Type white lilac into your search engine to view them...Compare them to the flowers on yours...
Flowering plants are classified according to their flower structure...Yours is probably Syringa vulgaris or persica...Flowers are best produced on older wood...Just prune to keep them clean of old damaged branches...You can also cut the flowers and put them in a vase...Other than this little pruning is necessary...
And I know your area well...I went to OU in southeastern OH for 4 + years...A very nice and beautiful area...
Hope this helps...
Rick in southern NJ...  

Identifying Unknown Plants

rick