Identifying Unknown Plants/Unknown plant

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your last reply. I went straight to the garden centre to purchase one!

Considering you was so good at my last question, I have attached 2 images of another plant I already have on my garden, but I have no idea what it is. I got it given to me earlier this spring as a rosette of leaves.

These then turned to more jagged leaves, and then a huge 5 feet tall spike appeared from the centre of the rosette, with clusters of small purple flowers on the end of very long yet self supporting stems. Similar flowers to a scabious. They remind me of perennial verbena but I know it's not that. They started flowering in mid june

Have a look at the pictures and see what you think. I've no idea if it's perennial or annual or if it will self seed.

Any advice you can give would be brilliant.

Kind regards
Damian Jenkinson

ANSWER: Hi Damian,

The pictures somehow didn't get attached to the question, but your description is so good, it almost makes me want to guess, but I'll wait for the pictures.
See if you can resend them, please.  Sorry for the hassle!

Mystery plant
Mystery plant  
QUESTION: Please see picture attached....  :)

Hi Damian,

You have the most beautiful garden!  I want you to pick a leaf of this plant and crush it and smell it.  I believe this is an ornamental allium (onion). It should smell like onions or garlic.  If not, then it may be a new variety of Agapanthus lilly (Lilly of the Nile).  The link below is to Broadleigh bulbs in the UK.  Their website has a great picture of the different varieties of agapanthus to be had.  Also google "ornamental onion" on google images to see the many colors of Allium.

I am very impressed with the design of your garden.  It has great flow, color and texture.  Please let me know if you come across anything else I can help you with.

Identifying Unknown Plants

Susan Tabor

I can identify most weeds, ornamentals,and wild plants by description or photo. If it is completely unknown to me, I can usually type info into a botanical search engine and find it. I am familiar with unusual plants from all over the world.

Thirty-five years of research and experience in horticulture.

You already have that information. I'm just listing myself in a new catagory.