Identifying Unknown Plants/Unknown seed pod

Question
Seed Pod
Seed Pod  

Seed Pod 2
Seed Pod 2  
I found several of these cone-shaped objects while weeding my garden in Northern California. They appear to be some kind of seed pod in what used to be the root of a plant. Do you know anything about these and what kind of plant produces them?

Thanks,
Michael

Answer
birdnest
birdnest  
Hi Michael,

I believe these are actually bird's nest fungi (Nidulariaceae).  They live off decaying matter, such as wood mulch.  There are many different kinds.  Google images has some great pictures.  Viewed from the side, I didn't immediately recognize it - It looks exactly like you describe - like some kind of root seed pod, lol.  I've attached a photo of a shot from above.  Thanks for your question.
Kind Regards,
Susan

Identifying Unknown Plants

Susan Tabor