Identifying Unknown Plants/Uknown plant

Question
SEOntariovine
SEOntariovine  
Could you please have a look and identify this plant. I found it in a deciduous forest, well shaded, near water in south eastern Ontario. The fruit, spiky purple about the size of a large marble, appears to be ripe. I was wondering if it was edible.
Thanks,
Nelson May

Answer
Hi Nelson,

That's a grape - one of the many types we have in North America - and it is edible.  It looks to be a muscadine type.  While you can eat these out of hand, the seeds and thick skin are not very digestible.  Most people prefer to turn them into wine, jam and jelly.  You can make sure it's a grape simply by breaking one open and smelling it - you will recognize that characteristic "fruity" smell.
Thanks,
susan

Identifying Unknown Plants

Susan Tabor