Identifying Unknown Plants/Two mystery plants / weeds

Question
Photo1
Photo1  

Photo2
Photo2  
Susan,

I have two plants that I am trying to identify.  I will include the second in a separate question.  They are located on a farm in southern Maryland.  Both seem to have grown really fast, and I want to either trim one back or pull both out if I should, but want to know what I am dealing with.  Picture and close-up are attached.

Thank you for your help!

Answer
Hi Robert,

This is a Crepe Myrtle. You can't go 10 feet without seeing one where I live. I doubt they are as plentiful in Maryland. This one does look like it gets frequently frozen or cut back.  They bloom best on new growth, but wrong pruning makes for an ugly tree/shrub in winter.  

In the southern US, field grown crepes are yanked out of the ground and sold, while the roots left behind become new trees.  You may end up having to spray it with an herbicide to entirely eradicate it.

Thanks,
Susan

Identifying Unknown Plants

Susan Tabor