Identifying Unknown Plants/help

Question
unknown plant
unknown plant  
Can you help me identify this plant? This picture was taken in the chihuahuan desert in the Franklin Mountains. This is located in the southwest. If full identification is not possible can you help me classify it as best possible? Thanks you so much!

Answer
Hi Maria,

In the picture, those look to me like dried seed heads.  I would look at the Chenopodium, and Rumex genus.  Many members have stemy seedheads that dry a rusty red. Five-hook Bassia, Russian Thistle, sheep sorrel, all occur in the Chihuahuan Desert.  I can't be positive from the picture, but you've seen the plant, and can perhaps narrow it down.  
Thanks,
Susan

Identifying Unknown Plants

Susan Tabor