Identifying Unknown Plants/help

unknown plant
unknown plant  
Can you help me identify this plant? This picture was taken in the chihuahuan desert in the Franklin Mountains. This is located in the southwest. If full identification is not possible can you help me classify it as best possible? Thanks you so much!

Hi Maria,

In the picture, those look to me like dried seed heads.  I would look at the Chenopodium, and Rumex genus.  Many members have stemy seedheads that dry a rusty red. Five-hook Bassia, Russian Thistle, sheep sorrel, all occur in the Chihuahuan Desert.  I can't be positive from the picture, but you've seen the plant, and can perhaps narrow it down.  

Identifying Unknown Plants

Susan Tabor

I can identify most weeds, ornamentals,and wild plants by description or photo. If it is completely unknown to me, I can usually type info into a botanical search engine and find it. I am familiar with unusual plants from all over the world.

Thirty-five years of research and experience in horticulture.

You already have that information. I'm just listing myself in a new catagory.