Identity Theft Prevention/Mother impersonates me to collect and steal money

Question
Hi.  Thank you for taking my question. I have a life insurance policy with my husband as the beneficiary.  My mother impersonated me and took a loan out on the policy without my knowledge or permission.  I severed my relationship with her over 10 years ago because of her signing my name to checks, stealing money among other reasons.  What can I do to stop her from doing this.  She has been doing this for decades to me.  This is the second insurance policy she has done this to and the last one I was stuck with paying the taxes on the money she collected.  The company said the could not do any thing unless I agreed to sign papers to prosecute.  I did not want to do that to her.  We have a small business and my husband is worried she is going to ruin our credit.  I think she feels it is within her rights to forge my name and use my social security number, impersonate me because I am her daughter.  She is very verbally and physically abusive.  I have not spoken to her for over 13 years.  What can I do to make her stop impersonating me to steal my money?  Thank you.   Marsha

Answer
Marsha,

This appears to be a difficult situation, given that you are unwilling to press charges against your mother.

I must give you a disclaimer: I cannot provide legal advice.  I would suggest that you consult with an attorney admitted practice in PA.

However, I can suggest a couple of issues to consider.

1.  You wrote: "The company said the could not do any thing unless I agreed to sign papers to prosecute.  I did not want to do that to her."  An attorney can advise you on applicable State law regarding the duties of the insurance company to honor your claim.

2.  Without resorting to criminal action, you might consult with an attorney about seeking a civil protective order against your mother, to force her to abandon this kind of destructive behavior.

In the meantime, to protect your credit for business purposes, you and your husband should consider placing a freeze on your credit reports at the three major credit reporting agencies: Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. This step will at least give you a chance to avoid new accounts being opened by unauthorized parties.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.  

Identity Theft Prevention

Yan Ross